Unusual Display on Progress Screen

First of all, I was reluctant to list this as a bug. You’ll see why. It’s a strange situation, at least for me.

I noticed something displayed on the TV Show Progress listing that I had never seen before. It looks like this:

I had never seen an entry with the date and network of an upcoming episode like this one for “Star Trek:Prodigy”.

My first thought was that I really liked it. That’s probably because I have long requested that the upcoming listings include the network, and that still hasn’t happened. Of course, since the Upcoming listing on the TV Show Progress screen almost always has the wrong information about when a show is airing, I would like to see that fixed most of all. I still can’t understand why that listing can’t show the same accurate information as that on the Home page, but I digress.

My second and almost immediate thought was "why is this entry there at all , I’ve checked off all the episodes that have aired thus far. After a little investigation, I think I found the reason. The following display illustrates that:

The TMDB information for this show has a two-part episode listed as one episode under episode 1. More strangely, they don’t list an episode 2 at all. I didn’t even know that was allowed, and I don’t think it should be, I plan to submit a change to “correct” this. However, it appears this situation confuses Moviebase, causing it to say I have watched 10 of 11 episodes,when there are only 10 episodes listed that can be checked off (due to the missing episode 2). So maybe that is something Moviebase should handle better.

However, it makes me wonder why Moviebase has this ability to display that nice line with the date and network of the upcoming next episode when only a strange mishandled anomaly like this can trigger it. On the other hand, it makes me think it might even be a nice thing to show this line for shows when we have watched all the available episodes, and a new episode is coming soon (where soon is maybe a small number of days TBD). Or maybe that would not be desirable, as people don’t ever want to see shows on the Progress screen which are caught up. It could be an option. But the question remains - why does Moviebase have the ability to display that line at all. What are the legitimate circumstances that would trigger it? But now that we see how nice that looks, could we please get the network listed on Upcoming episode entries?

I reported this unusual listing to TMDB, and here are my post and the response I received from a moderator:

Extra Details: “Star Trek: Prodigy (2021)” has been changed to list both of the first two episodes under episode 1 and to not have an episode 2. Even though the Paramount+ site lists it this way, it doesn’t make sense to not have an episode 2 in the listing. This definitely causes problems for applications using the information. I started to change it back, but before I do, I want to be sure there is not some standard that requires this strange setup just because Paramount+ lists it that way. It is inconsistent with other listings and even with how another two part episode is listed in this same season. I would appreciate this being changed back, or if you give me the go-ahead, I will be glad to do it, assuming it lets me.

Reply by superboy97

MOD

on November 2, 2022 at 12:39 PM

The current listing is correct. We should respect the way this series is broadcasted by Paramount+.

If TMDB is going to support this type of entry, then I suppose Moviebase needs to be updated to handle it properly.

I’m reporting that the issue of not properly handling this unusual situation of TMDB listing both episodes 1 and 2 as a single episode for Star Trek Prodigy is still a problem for Moviebase beta 4.9.2, as demonstrated by the following screen shots:

Moviebase is saying I have not watched all the available episodes, though I have, and is showing that I have watched 19 of 20 episodes, though there are only 19 episodes or there are 20 episodes but 2 are combined under one entry, depending upon how you look at it. Also Moviebase is saying my watching is “Complete” though saying I have only watched 19 of 20 episodes.

I would agree that this entry in TMDB is goofy, but they insist upon doing it this way, so it should be handled I think.