Synchronization Issue / Questions

I’m not categorizing this as a bug because I know what I don’t know, and I know I don’t fully understand the types of sign-ins available for Moviebase and how they affect synchronization. My impression from reading the forum is that signing in through Trakt makes more things work properly and allows at least some measure of backup of our information in Trakt. That’s why I chose that route. As far as I can tell, there is currently no other way for us to back up our entries. The Trakt information is a pretty poor backup because there are a lot of discrepancies in the TV show information between TMDb/Moviebase and Trakt. So, we really need a good reliable way to fully backup our Moviebase information, other than Trakt.

I also have Moviebase installed on a couple of android devices - a phone and a tablet. Of course I would like for these to stay in sync, but they don’t. It appears that when Trakt contains different episode information from TMDb/Moviebase, then the sync between devices is incomplete. Again, I don’t understand why that has to be so. Why can’t Moviebase sync the information fully, based on its own database, regardless of how we sign on? I use the Trakt sign-in to get at least some measure of backup, but I don’t want it to interfere with the proper synchronization of my Moviebase data between devices.

It would be very helpful to have a comprehensive description of how synchronization works. My suggestion would be that synchronization between devices would always be completely based on the data in the Moviebase database, regardless of type of sign-in and without regard to what is in Trakt. The lack of consistency between TMDb (the primary source for Moviebase) and Trakt seems to render any other approach very problematic.

I can certainly see an argument for having a method of loading existing information in Trakt to Moviebase, for those who are just migrating to Moviebase, but I can’t see a reason to corrupt the synchronization process because of Trakt differences.

I would be grateful to be enlightened about anything I have misunderstood here.

Thank you